A seaman certificate of nationality and identity can be issued to Jamaican citizens who are holders of a regular Jamaican passport and who intend to seek employment or are employed on a seafaring vessel. A cruise vessel employee needs to be in possession of a seaman certificate in addition to his/her regular passport.
It is possible to obtain a copy of the application form from the Government website at www.pica.gov.jm. Alternatively, the form may be obtained at the PICA head offices at 25c Constant Spring Road. Please note, however, that any application for a seaman certificate requires a personal appearance by the applicant.
To apply you will need:
- A completed application form
- Application fee
- Two duplicate photographs certified by the same official certifying the application form (Please note that an embossed seal Should not be affixed to any of the photographs)
- Evidence of seagoing employment (letter from a shipping company or the Caribbean Maritime Institute)
- Regular Jamaican passport
- Birth certificate (If regular passport is not machine readable)
If your captain has been acquainted with you for at least one year and is a citizen of Jamaica and falls in one of the categories mentioned in the passport regulations as being authorized to provide certification, then he may notarize the application form as well as both photographs.
The application fee for the seaman certificate is $1,500 and there is no expiration date for the book.
Standard processing time for this document is three working days; however, you may obtain the certificate earlier through PICA's next-day expedited service for an additional fee of $2,500.
For more information, please visit our website at www.pica.gov.jm. Enquiries may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.