Ministry of Education
The Ministry of Education will play the leading role and its mission is:
"To provide a system which secures quality education and training for all persons in Jamaica and achieves effective integration of educational and cultural resources in order to optimise individual and national development"
Its seven strategic objectives are:
- To devise and support initiatives striving towards literacy for all in order to extend personal opportunities and contribute to national development;
- To secure teaching and learning opportunities that will optimize access, equity and relevance throughout the education system;
- To support student achievement and improve institutional performance in order to ensure that national targets are met; To maximize opportunities throughout the Ministry’s purview that promote cultural development, awareness and self-esteem for individuals, communities and the nation as a whole;
- To devise and implement systems of accountability and performance management in order to improve performance and win public confidence and trust;
- To optimize the effectiveness and efficiency of staff in all aspects of the service in order to ensure continuous improvement in performance;
- To enhance student learning by the greater use of information and communication technology as preparation for life in the national and global communities.
*Source: Ministry of Education website