Google+
 

Address: 5th Floor, Sagicor Centre, 28 - 48 Barbados Avenue, Kingston 5, Jamaica, W.I.
Telephone: 1-888-225-5692
Fax: 876-926-1329
Email: pr@nwc.com.jm
Web Site: http://www.nwcjamaica.com

The National Water Commission produces more than 90 % of Jamaica's total potable water supply from a network of more than 160 underground wells, over 116 river sources (via water treatment plants) and 147 springs. The various Parish Councils and a small number of private water companies supply the rest of the potable water, while The National Irrigation Commission provides irrigation services. Approximately 30% of the water abstracted in Jamaica is used to meet the demand for potable water and the remaining 70% of abstracted water is used for irrigation.
The NWC operates more than 1,000 water supply and over 100 sewerage facilities islandwide. These vary from large raw water storage reservoirs at Hermitage and Mona in St. Andrew and the Great River treatment plant in St. James, to medium sized and small diesel-driven pumping installations serving rural towns and villages across Jamaica.
More than 70% of Jamaican households are supplied via house connections and the remaining 30% obtains water from standpipes, water trucks, wayside tanks, community catchment tanks and direct access to rivers and streams.
Similarly, approximately 30% of Jamaica's population is served by sewerage facilities operated by the NWC in major towns and associated with several housing developments in various locations throughout the country. The disposal of the sewage generated in the remainder of the population is done through various types of on-site systems such as septic tanks, soak-away pits, and pit latrines.
The NWC facilities also include over 4,000 kilometres of pipelines and more than 500 kilometres of sewer mains across the island. From rivers, springs and wells, the NWC supplies some 190 million gallons of potable water each day to valued customers across Jamaica. 

The Mission of the National Water Commission is to provide the highest quality potable water and wastewater services, maintain good working conditions and good corporate citizenship while protecting the natural environment and contributing positively to national development.

Corporate Profile
GENERAL
The National Water Commission is a statutory organisation charged with the responsibility of providing potable water and wastewater services for the people of Jamaica. Although there are other water service providers such as Parish Councils and private water companies, none provides as much as the National Water Commission. 
OUR MISSION
The Mission of the National Water Commission is to provide the highest quality potable water and wastewater services, maintain good working conditions and good corporate citizenship while protecting the natural environment and contributing positively to national development.
OUR HISTORY
Governed by The National Water Commission Act (1980), The National Water Commission (NWC) was formally established in 1980 through the amalgamation of the Kingston and St. Andrew Water Commission and the rurally focused, National Water Authority. This amalgamation resulted in the merging of some major systems islandwide under one authority.
Fore-runners of the National Water Commission date back to as early as 1766 when Roger Hope Elleston, owner of The Hope Estate, constructed an open aqueduct to carry surplus water from his property to the town of Kingston. The system fell into a state of disrepair and its operation was eventually discontinued in 1777.
One of the first ever piped water supply system in the Western Hemisphere originated in Jamaica, in the town of Falmouth, Trelawny. With the Martha Brae River as its source, in 1799 the Falmouth Water Works Company was established, to supply the town of Falmouth and visiting ships.
Since then, different approaches have been used to extend water supply to various sections of the country. Today, the NWC is the primary provider of potable water in Jamaica.
ORGANISATION / STRUCTURE
The NWC is headed by a nine-member Board of Commissioners appointed by the portfolio Minister. Together, they establish policy and give general direction to the organisation. Operationally, the NWC is headed by a President who is assisted by six Vice Presidents. Operationally, the island is served by two operating divisions - Eastern and Western - headed by two of the Vice Presidents. Each division consists of four Areas headed by Area Managers. The two divisions and their associated Areas are:-
Eastern
Kingston, St. Andrew, St. Thomas, St. Catherine, Clarendon, St. Mary and Portland
Western
St. James, Westmoreland, Hanover, Trelawny, St. Ann, Manchester and St. Elizabeth

Chairman

Dr. Leary Myers

Directors

Ms. Judith Robinson 

Mr. Keith Goodison

Mr. Hugh Scott

Mr. Eugene Kelly

Rev. Devon Dick

Mr. Gavin Goffe

Mr. Junior Levine

Mr. Hugh Graham

*board appointed for two (2) years effective February 13, 2012*

National Water Commission (NWC)
Government of Jamaica
Utilities