The Jamaica Archives and Records Department
The Jamaica Archives and Records Department is a Department of the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture, and is governed by the Archives Act, 1982 and the Archives (Official Records) Regulations, 1988. The Department consists of the:
- Archives Unit
- Audiovisual Archives Unit
- Government Records Centre
- Office of the Government Archivist
In accordance with the Archives Act (1982) and the Archives Regulations (1988), the Objectives of the Department are to:
- Serve as the main repository in the country for the preservation of government records relating to the country's history and heritage in paper, audiovisual and electronic formats.
- Provide a research and reference service to the public, and disseminate information in the collections to promote knowledge and interest in the nation's history and culture.
- Collect archival materials relating to Jamaica produced by non-government institutions and private persons to ensure that primary materials of value to Jamaica are preserved.
- Establish standards and procedures for the efficient and effective management of official records in public sector entities at all stages of their life cycle.
- Provide consulting services and training in records and information management to government ministries and departments.
- Provide storage facilities for non-current government records awaiting final disposition in keeping with their retention schedules.
- Provide administrative support to the Archives Advisory Committee.