Schengen States Visa

To travel to any of the following Countries, a Schengen Visa is required:  

Czech Republic




The following guidlines are issued by the German Embassy in Kingston. The German Embassy handles all Schengen application to Germany, Italy, and Estonia.  Other Schengen State Application Processes will be similar, but should be handled through the embassy or consulate of the respective country. 
Schengen Visa for Germany, Italy, or Estonia
Only groups of 5 persons and more need to make an appointment.
When should I apply?
The Schengen Visa process can take from 2 days up to several weeks in certain cases. Therefore you can submit your visa application three months prior to your travel arrangement.
What do I need to apply?
Please include a copy of all original documents submitted with the application. The Embassy has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant. The applicant is advised that submitting the required documents does not guarantee automatic issuance of the Schengen visa.
Please be informed, knowingly providing false information during the visa process will result in your visa application being denied.
All documents submitted in Italian language have to be translated into German or English by an officially recognized translator.
The following are required:
  • a fully completed application form in the original to be handed in in person. Forms are free of charge.
  • valid passport; The passport has to be issued within the previous ten years and has to have at least two empty pages available. The passport must be valid for at least 3 months for Germany and 6 months for Italy longer than intended stay in the Schengen territory. Please include previous passports, either valid or cancelled. Where applicable, submit work / resident permit (has to be valid for at least 3 months longer than intended stay in the Schengen territory.)
  • two recent passport size photograph (do not attach to the application form)
  • health insurance with Schengen-wide coverage for medical, emergency and repatriation expenses. Minimum coverage has to be at least EURO 30.000,- and your insurance has to have a representative office in one of the Schengen states (for example from the ADAC, Hanse-Merkur, AXA, American Home Assurance Company). Upfront coverage is required with minimal deductable.
  • a job letter (stating occupation, hiring date, income, approved leave or purpose of travel etc.) or, if you are self-employed, the registration certificate of your business (certificate of incorporation, articles of memorandum)
  • a recent letter from the bank stating exact figures and account details
  • a confirmed flight reservation – please do not purchase a ticket before the visa is actually granted!
  • for students, a letter of attendance from your school or university
For minors:
  • birth certificate in original and a certified declaration of consent of the non accompanying parent(s) as they appear on the birth certificate as well as a certified copy of the parent(s) valid picture-ID
For Germany
  • The original of a formal obligation – “Verpflichtungserklärung” – from the person inviting you. (This document has to be obtained from the alien authority in the city of residence of the host in Germany.)
For Italy and Estonia:
  • The original invitation letter of your Italian/Estonian host with a legalized signature (include current bank statements and certified copy of passport from the host and if applicable, valid resident permit in Italy/Estonia)
Additional information for tourists:
  • hotel reservation
  • a complete tour itinerary
Additional information for those on business trips:
  • the original of the invitation letter from the company in Germany/Italy/Estonia stating who is invited, for how long and for what purpose. It must be mentioned whether the costs of flight, accommodation and lodging are covered.
If the trip is not paid by the German/Italian/Estonian side you will also need:
  • confirmation from your employer that all the costs are covered by the company
  • a recent letter from the employer's bank stating exact figures and account details
Additional information for transit through Germany:
  • a complete flight itinerary which must state clearly if you change Airport Terminals in Germany
  • a valid visa for your connecting flight and final destination
How much does it cost? 
The fee for a Schengen visa is 60 € for persons 12 years and above. For children between the age of 6 and 12 years the fee for a Schengen visa is 35 €. The fee has to be paid in cash and in US-Dollars only according to the exchange rate of the Embassy. The Embassy neither accepts 50 nor 100 US-Dollar bills. The bills have to be in pristine condition and cannot be older than 1990.
Is the visa fee refundable?
Visa fees are non-refundable. 
Does Everyone need a visa? 
Children under the age of 6 are exempt from Schengen visa fees. The visa fee is also waived for applicants married to an EU-national or parents of minors with EU-nationality.
Please include the marriage or birth certificate in original as well as a certified copy of the spouse’s or child's EU-passport.
At the present time Jamaican nationals do not require an airport transit visa. However, that is under the assumption that the connecting flight is within 24 hours and that you arrive and depart from the same Airport Terminal in Germany. In that case you are not going to leave the transit area. You would need to have your visa and ticket for your connecting flight and final destination.
Seamen should approach the visa section directly.