The Parish of St. Andrew
Devon House was built in 1881 by George Stiebel, Jamaica's first black millionaire.
Area: 431 km ²
Population: 669,512 (includes Kingston and St. Andrew)
Originally settled by the indigenous Taino People, the Liguanea plains and Blue Mountains behind them were incorporated as the parish of St. Andrew in 1867. The names of many of the sugar estates and cattle pens that made up St. Andrew persist in some of the island’s densely populated metro-areas: Hope Pastures, Barbican, Constant Spring, Slipe and Cockburn Pens, to name a few.
By 1923, the capital city had expanded far enough into St. Andrew to require a merging of the smaller parish of Kingston into St. Andrew. The Kingston and St. Andrew Corporation, instituted by act of law, is the governmental body responsible for the city of Kingston and its 2 parishes.
As the majority of the city of Kingston lies in the parish, St. Andrew is home to many of island’s largest business, political, educational and cultural places of interest. The official Residences of the Governor General, Prime Minister, and seat of Government (King’s House, Vale Royal, and Jamaica House respectively) are all in St. Andrew. As are the island’s two largest universities, the University of the West Indies at Mona (UWI Mona), and the University of Technology (Utech).
St. Andrew is also the birthplace of rock steady and reggae music. Many of the island’s most famous musicians developed their music in St. Andrew, including Bob Marley who was raised at Trench Town in the parish.