February 12: "Project For A School Of Librarianship At The Mona Campus"
1950:Her Royal Highness, Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, GCVO, and the Right Honourable the Earl of Althone, KG, PC, land in Jamaica at the Myrtle Bank Hotel pier. The Princess is here for her installation as chancellor of the University College of the West Indies. Military officials and citizens of the island gather at the landing place and line the streets to welcome the distinguished couple.
1954: The West Indies beat England by 181 runs in the second Test to go two up in the series. Once again, the weakness of the England tail is fully exposed in the hundred minutes after lunch, as they lose their last seven wickets for 62 runs. In cold figures, seven batsmen in the innings make nine runs among them.
1959: Jamaica’s new Constitution should arrive in the island in draft soon. The select committee of the House of Representatives on the Constitution will also consider it. The new Constitution, the select committee, the Government and the colonial officer agree on providing internal self-government for the island.
1964: An agreement for the establishment of a £100,000 plant at Yallahs, St Thomas is signed between one of the world’s leading telecommunications equipment manufacturers and the Jamaican Industrial Development Corporations. Under the agreement, the JIDC will build a $12,000 square foot factory for lease to ITT Standard Electric of Jamaica Ltd.
1969: A meeting of the University of the West Indies Council opens at the Senate Building, UWI, Mona. The chancellor of the University, Princess Alice, is presiding. The council members and observers are attending the meeting from Caribbean territories contributing to the university.
1971: The chairman of the Jamaica National Commission or UNESCO, Senator Hector Wynter announces that the governing council of the UNDP approves a UNESCO regional project for a school of librarianship at the Mona campus University of the West Indies.
1971: Construction will begin soon on the law faculty building for the University of the West Indies. The faculty is sited on the Cave Hill campus in Barbados and is now housed in temporary quarters. The new faculty building will reflect the regional nature of the university. The contract of the building is awarded to a Jamaican firm of architects McMorris, Sibley and Robinson.